St. Augustine's School
Our Local Church
Be part of the life and community of our local church:
We truly believe in a positive, caring, christian environment which promotes respect for self and others in order that each of us may develop our god given gifts to the fullest and contribute to the quality and success of our school community. We are learning for the future, inspired by Jesus Christ and guided by the holy spirit.
St. Augustine's School offers
our students and staff...
St. Augustine’s School is a
Kindergarten to Grade eight school.
In 1920 the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis initiated the first Catholic boarding school in Wilcox for boys and girls, offering grades 1-8, with grades 9-12 following soon after. In Feb. 1922 an Act was passed in the Sask. Legislature which incorporated the school as St. Augustine’s Academy.
In 1927 Father Athol Murray became the parish priest and immediately began to expand the school and add more residences for boarding students. In 1933 Father Athol Murray founded Notre Dame of Canada as a Liberal Arts College, affiliated with the University of Ottawa. This affiliation ended in 1981.
On January 1, 1961 Notre Dame Roman Catholic Separate School Division #37 is established with borders contiguous with Wilcox Consolidated School. This allowed Notre Dame separate school status and thus eligible for government grants.
In 1968 with declining enrollments in both the Public and Separate School an agreement was reached for the Separate board to purchase services from the Public board. Separate school students grades 1-9 were educated at Wilcox Public School. Sister Jeanne Roy moved to the Public School to teach the primary grades.
In 1977 Notre Dame went back to private school status with the Separate School District purchasing services from them for the education of the Catholic high school students.
In January 1979 the name was again changed to Notre Dame Roman Catholic School Division #91.
On January 16, 1979 the name changed again to St. Augustine’s Roman Catholic Separate School Division #91, purchasing services from Wilcox Public School for Grade K-8 students and from Athol Murray College of Notre Dame for Grade 9-12 students.
On April 1, 2003 the St. Augustine’s Roman Catholic Separate School Division #91 was disestablished.
In 2006 Wilcox School became part of the Prairie Valley School Division as part of a major provincial amalgamation process. The school was closed in 2007.
The journey continued in the fall of 2007 with the community pursing a Catholic education for the children. In August 2008, St. Augustine Roman Catholic Elementary School officially opened its doors. In 2009/10 St. Augustine RCSSD #220 entered a shared service agreement with Holy Family. As of September 1, 2010 St. Augustine RCSSD #220 and Holy Family RCSSD #140 officially amalgamated.